Swatch n Compare: Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil Free Photo Finish Foundation

Monday 8 February 2016

I love the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks but haven’t really tried anything else from the line until now. I’ve read some great reviews about the reformulated Silk Creme Foundation which were all over the blogospere back in April of last year so figured I’d give them a go.

The new formulations come in Moisturising or Oil Free and having had oily skin for most of my life, I decided to start with the Oil Free formula. The first thing as usual is to find a colour match. Looking online I worked out that my NC20-25 skin would probably be one of the ‘Beige’s’ so I managed to get a hold of a sample of each of them and swatched them against other foundations in my collection that match my skin tone at some point throughout the year.
 
Untitled
Laura Mercier Silk Crème Oil Free Photo Finish Foundation.
Each foundation was swatched heavily then blended to the right and allowed to set for a few minutes. Photo taken in natural light.

Surprisingly enough the Beige Ivory is listed on most foundation lists, including the Laura Mercier website, before the other Beige's which lead me to believe it would be the lightest of these but clearly it isn't.
 
Beige Ivory is described as light with neutral/slightly warm undertones.
Bamboo Beige is described as light with neutral undertones.
Sand Beige is described as light-medium with warm undertones.
Cashew Beige is described as light-medium with neutral/slightly warm undertones
 
At the moment I have my summer glow on so my skin tone is probably closer to NC25. The sales assistant tried to sell me the Cashew Beige (seriously?? No offence to the Oompa Loompa's but it's a look I'm just never going to embrace) which is why I insist on shade matching myself and testing the product at home using my own tools and my own application methods. I know you aren't supposed to use your arm to shade match but at the moment its surprisingly close to the colour of my face and neck, and I always like to swatch other foundations I KNOW match my complexion along side for comparison.
 
Untitled

All of the Laura Mercier shades have a lot of yellow in them, making the others look quite cool by comparison. Both the NARS Sheer Glow and the Giorgio Armani oxidise on me which is why they look so light when heavily swatched but match quite well once they are blended and have dried down. Revlon Colorstay Whipped has a slight grey undertone and is better suited to my winter shade. There's very little difference between Beige Ivory and Cashew Beige - Beige Ivory is a tiny bit more neutral, Cashew Beige is slightly warmer yet they are supposed to have the same undertones. And Sand Beige swatches lighter but dries down almost exactly the same as depth of colour but with more yellow in its undertone. Bamboo Beige on the other hand seems to be more accurate in its description and is by far the best match for me.

So now that I've got my colours sorted out I'm going to have a play with the different formulas and road test it. To be continued...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment