Review: Not Your Mother's Conditioning Detangler & Dry Shampoo

Wednesday 25 November 2015

Untitled

Priceline had a 40% off sale on all haircare about a month ago so I took advantage and got a heap of products to try. I’ve never tried the ‘Not Your Mother’s’ brand before and was excited to see they have a detangling spray (has anyone else noticed these are becoming increasingly hard to come by with so many brands switching to masks and leave in treatments) and a dry shampoo, both of which promised big things.

Not Your Mother’s Knotty To Nice Conditioning Detangler:
“...This detangling formula will moisturise your hair and separate sticky locks leaving you with smooth hair and pain-free brushing...”
I have to address this... the name ‘Not Your Mother’s’ infers a modern up to date image in its entirely – looks, scent, application, effectiveness – but my nose tells me this is exactly the kind of product my mum and even my grandmother might have had in her bathroom way back when. The apricot floral scent isn’t unpleasant but in my opinion it’s certainly not modern as the brand name suggests. As for packaging, I’ve been using leave-in conditioning pump sprays for the last 20 years and the concept of a spray detangler isn’t new by any means so I’m not exactly sure what about this brand is so modern and innovative.

Nit picking aside, this product works quite well as a conditioning detangling spray but the packaging is hopeless. The formula is thick and can feel quite weighty by the time you get enough in your hair to work with. In fact the formula is so thick that the pump sprays it in spurts that shoot off randomly to the side so you wind up with more product all over your bathroom than in your hair. I’ve even tried this in my trusty pink V05 spray bottle with its ultra fine spray nozzle to see if that helps – it didn’t and even watered down with another very thin liquidy leave in conditioning spray it still sprayed erratically. Final verdict – product good, delivery system really bad and I will not bother to repurchase it as I don’t have the time or effort to fight with unpredictable product placement or clean my bathroom floor and counters each time I use it.

Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo:
“...Instant results. Absorbs excess oils. Leaves no residue. Lite matte finish...”
Absorbs excess oils – debatable. This works well when my hair is only mildly oily but if I have spent the previous day in the wind or in sweaty heat it just isn’t enough to combat the grease factor.
Leaves no residue – um, no. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely not visible but I can feel it in my hair just like I can any other dry shampoo however it’s more akin to a texturising spray in feel and delivers an oomph of volume that I rarely get from volumising products. Sadly the volumising effect doesn’t last very long.
Lite matte finish – yes which is exactly the kind of natural finish I’m after as a shiny finish (picture thick, bouncy Pantene locks being swung back over ones shoulder) on my fine thin hair equals limp and greasy looking no matter how clean it is.

Like the detangling spray the colours on the packaging give a hint to the scent which reminds me of a cross between soap and that old man aftershave my dad used in the 70’s that smells like pine needles and comes in a skinny pinecone shaped bottle (the name completely escapes me) – again very outdated but it doesn’t linger so I can live with that. I love that it leaves no white cast at all so there’s no real need to brush it out but there are just too many negatives with this product. I can only use it on hair that was washed in no more than the last 18 or so hours as it really isn’t that effective at absorbing excess oiliness from my hair. It does add initial volume but falls flat fairly quickly. But the worst part is that an hour after applying it my hair is limp and looks dirtier than before I added the dry shampoo. This is regrettably a huge fail for me.

With one fail and one OK but frustrating as hell I don’t think I’ll bother trying anything else from the brand. Unfortunately my experience with these two have just put me off. Yes, the leave in spray is nice and does detangle my hair but quite frankly it’s no better than other leave in conditioners on the market and for the price it should work without the need for a drop sheet or having to thin it out or dick around and decant it into a competitors packaging.

Not Your Mother's... Not For Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment